Great writers read great books, so if you want your manuscript to hit the top Christian books list, this article is for you. Over the decades, Christian publishers have put countless books on the New York Times bestseller list.
However, some books became popular long before bestseller lists existed. No matter where you find yourself in your knowledge about Christian faith publishing, use this article to find the top books you should read today.
Whether you want to learn how to write a book about Christianity or simply read an inspirational book, I’ve got you covered. Let’s dive into the top Christian books and then discuss some key questions surrounding this genre.
Top Christian books: what’s covered
Top Christian Books
Below is a list of the top Christian books: ones that have hit the New York Times bestseller list, as well as titles that have sold millions of copies since their publication.
These titles cover a variety of topics, a few of which include:
- Mental health
- Social justice
No matter what genre you decide to write, learning from the bestselling authors of today and from the last centuries will help equip you to write your best work.
While you never want to copy another author's work, use these bestselling titles to:
- Inspire ideas
- Provide insight on author voice
- Expand your understanding of writing
- Learn what works (and what doesn't)
Here is a list of top sellers in Christian books.
- Shaken, Tim Tebow
2. Uninvited, Lysa TerKeurst
3. The Broken Way, Ann Voskamp
4. The Reason For God, Timothy Keller
5. Jesus Calling, Sarah Young
6. The Case For Christ, Lee Strobel
7. The Search For Significance, Robert McGee
8. Sacred Marriage, Gary Thomas
9. Fault Lines, Voddie T. Baucham Jr.
10. Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
11. Parenting, Paul David Tripp
12. Spiritual Depression: Its Causes And Its Cure, David Martyn Lloyd-Jones
13. Gay Girl, Good God, Jackie Hill Perry
14. How Does God's Law Apply To Me?, R.C. Sproul
15. Crazy Love, Francis Chan
16. More than a Carpenter, Josh McDowell
17. Knowing God, J.I. Packer
18. Kingdom Marriage, Tony Evans
19. The Applause of Heaven, Max Lucado
20. Knowledge of the Holy, A.W. Tozer
21. The Normal Christian Life, Watchman Nee
22. Holier Than Thou, Jackie Hill Perry
23. Desiring God, John Piper
24. Confronting Injustice without Compromising Truth, Thaddeus J. Williams, John M. Perkins
25. Good Boundaries and Goodbyes, Lysa TerKeurst
26. Find Your People, Jennie Allen
27. America, a Redemption Story: Choosing Hope, Creating Unity, Tim Scott
As you read through these top Christian books, did you discover any titles you’ve read? Maybe some of the classics, like Mere Christianity or The Case for Christ, already exist on your have-read list. Perhaps you realized you should brush up on a few of the newer titles.
Additionally, if you are an aspiring Christian author and speaker, you would benefit from reading books by Jackie Hill Perry and Jennie Allen. Both of these women are avid writers as well as speakers.
You can use the above list to help you stay on top of current trends, know what type of writing sells, and learn what most resonates with readers.
What is the most popular Christian book of all time?
C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity is widely known as one of the top Christian books of all time. Widely read, Lewis made a name for himself in both the fiction and nonfiction genres. The list of top Christian books continually keeps Lewis on it. Universities use his writing as textbooks for classes today.
What are some good Christian books to read?
Because these books sold so well, you can draw inspiration from the topics and various styles of writing.
A good place to start for fiction: C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia, J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress. A good place to start for nonfiction: Any of the 27 titles mentioned above.
Who is the #1 Christian author?
Sarah Young, bestselling author of Jesus Calling, was widely considered one of the top Christian books authors. At her passing in September of 2023, she had sold over 45 million copies of her books worldwide.
John Bunyan, famous for Pilgrim’s Progress, was born in 1628. This fictional account of Christian’s journey has sold over 250 million copies.
What Christian book has sold the most copies?
The Bible is by far the leader of the top Christian books. Guinness World Records says it’s likely sold between five and seven billion copies since its standardization about 1500 years ago.
Besides the Bible though, which titles rank as the top Christian books in sales? It’s estimated that the Book of Common Prayer has sold over 300 million copies since its original publication in 1549.
A further list of top Christian books include the following, with estimated sales:
- Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, John Foxe, 150 million
- The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien, 142 million
- Steps to Christ, Ellen White, 60 million
- Ben Hur, Lew Wallace, 50 million
- In His Steps, Charles Sheldon, 30 million
- The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren, 30 million
If you want your book to land in the top Christian books list, you may want to start by reading the six titles above. Spanning across centuries, these authors made a name for themselves that has stuck to this day.
While no writer starts their manuscript knowing their book will be the next bestseller of all time, reading titles that still do well today can help.
The Purpose Driven Life provides a more straightforward, daily read. You can always watch The Hobbit movies to help you better follow the book. And Ben Hur is an all-time classic that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Top Christian Books By Authors At SelfPublishing
Many of the authors here at SelfPublishing wrote Christian books that garnered many positive views and sales. These authors stand as an inspiration to aspiring writers and can encourage you as well.
No matter if you are at the beginning stages of your book or close to publishing, look through authors who succeed in putting their book into the world.
Here are a few of our authors in top Christian books:
- Fearless: Finding Courage in the Character of God, Grant Graves
- The Politically Homeless Christian, Aaron Schafer
- Losing, Learning, and Loving, Kelly C.P. Hudson
- You Aren’t Worthless, Kristin N. Spencer
- ANEW: Spiritual Awakening, J.V. Lauren
You may be the next writer to add your name to our author list!
Take Your Next Step Today
Are you ready to publish your book and up your chances at joining the ranks of top Christian authors? Discover everything you need to know about publishing with Chandler Bolt's book, Published. Writing a book can impact hundreds, thousands, and even millions of people around the world. Download the free eBook and start your author journey today!