Tools & Resources
Writing Prompt Generator
Creative Writing Prompts For All Genres.
Writing Prompt Generator
for Book Ideas
I want to write...
Writing Prompt Generator
for Book Ideas
Your Book Prompt:
What is a Writing Prompt Generator?
A writing prompt generator is a tool that produces a random writing prompt depending on the genre you choose. Writing prompts are writing topics or story starters that help with the ideation process of writing, by giving you a specific topic to write on.
Writing prompts are often used in a learning setting, when writers need direction. However, writing prompts are also used by authors that struggle with finding their next book idea, or experience writer's block that prevents them continuing their project.
A writing prompt gives direction, and is like a seed that writer’s can use to sprout their imagination and creativity. You can choose whether or not to deviate from the original writing prompt or not; it’s up to you!
How does this random Writing Prompt Generator work?
Our Writing Prompt Generator is designed especially for novelists and authors in search of their next book idea. The prompt generator is loaded with a variety of random prompts and story starters, all based on genre type, and we are continuously updating the tool with more prompts so you can get a jumpstart to write your book.
To get started, select your writing type and genre. The generator will randomly produce a writing prompt that meets the criteria of your choice.
Here are the steps to use this Writing Prompt Generator:
- Select “Fiction” or “Nonfiction” as your writing type. Fiction is the best choice if you’re looking for creative writing prompts to write a novel or story that’s imaginative. Nonfiction is the best choice if you want to write a nonfiction book based on real life.
- Select a “Genre.” There are specific genres for both nonfiction and fiction. Once you select your writing type, you’ll be presented with a number of genres to choose from. Select the genre that intrigues you most!
- Enter your information (optional). If you want to join our community and receive occasional emails, enter your information. Or, click “No thanks” to be taken to your prompt.
- Click “Generate.” Let the writing prompt generator work its magic!
Your randomized writing prompt will immediately appear. If you aren’t happy with the prompt the generator produced, just click “Generate” again and another prompt will be created. Keep doing this until you find one you love!
Who should use this prompt generator?
Anyone who has an interest in writing can use this writing prompt generator for free.
But since we’re in the business of helping writers become published authors, we designed this writing prompt specifically for these types of people:
- Aspiring authors: For writers who want to become authors, these writing prompts will help you brainstorm a bestselling book!
- Published authors: For those who have already completed the publishing journey and are ready to become multi-bestselling authors, these writing prompts can help you generate your next book idea.
- Nonfiction writers: If you know you want to become a nonfiction author but need some ideas, try choosing a random genre from our nonfiction writing prompts.
- Creative writers: If you want to beat writers block, express some creativity, or master your craft, use one of these random prompts to flex your creative muscles.
- Fiction writers: For those who love writing fiction, you can experiment with a number of fiction genres using these random prompts.
Writing Prompt Generator: Genre Breakdown
Reasons to use a Writing Prompt Generator
Why use a generator to come up with a story idea, you ask? There are plenty of reasons!
Sometimes, using a random prompt generator is especially helpful for those looking to improve their writing craft, implement a new literary technique, or explore a different genre.
Here are some reasons to use a Writing Prompt Generator:
- Story guidance. Sometimes, coming up with a story ides is half the battle. With a writing prompt generator, you never have to worry about a lack of ideas.
- Exploring new genres. If you’re hesitant about dabbling in new genres, a writing prompt generator is a low-risk avenue to help you explore a topic that you wouldn’t have thought of.
- Creative brainstorming. A story starter can plant the seed of inspiration. When you read a prompt, it might help you to think of another idea to pursue.
- Writing practice. Using a guided prompt is great for developing your writing skills. With a random prompt, you can feel free to practice new writing techniques without fear of failure.
- Writer’s block. For writers that struggle with creative blocks, a writing prompt generator can get your wheels turning again.
Story Prompt Generator For Book Ideas
We specifically designed this random writing prompt generator to help writers produce their next book idea. That means it functions as a story prompt generator as well!
But that doesn’t mean you should use this story prompt generator to write an entire book with the first prompt you get.
Instead, experiment with the generator and use specific prompts that interest you to see where it takes your writing. Then, when you feel fully invested in a topic, RUN with it!
Here’s how to know if your book idea is good:
- It intrigues you. You’re going to spend a lot of time with this idea, so make sure it’s something you’re passionate about and extremely interested in.
- There is an audience. In order to succeed with publishing your book, you need to make sure there’s an audience ready to buy the type of book you want to write. Browse around Amazon to see if there are related topics that are bestsellers.
- You can spend a lot of time on it. Even if you enjoy a topic, you want to make sure your interest is long-term, and is motivating enough for you to write an entire book on.
- The topic is relatable. Even if it’s a story that takes place in a galaxy far, far away, there needs to be some element or experience for your reader to relate to.
- Your book idea is unique. Nobody wants to read the same story over and over again! If you’re covering a topic that’s already been written on, find a new, unique angle to approach.
- People express interest. If someone says they like your idea, they probably do and would be willing to read it!
- You’re passionate about your story. If you find yourself thinking about your book often throughout the day, and can’t stop hiding your excitement for it, your passion will show through your writing.
Now that you know how to use a writing prompt generator, and why it can be extremely helpful for writers of all backgrounds, styles, and levels of expertise, it’s time to get started!