The time has never been better to write and publish a book, especially using one of these many self-publishing courses available.
If you are thinking of writing a book but you are stressing out over all the steps to write, publish and launch to market, you should seriously consider enrolling in one of the best self-publishing courses available today.
Why take an online publishing course?
There is a lot to know beyond writing a book. Not to say the writing part is easy, but you will have greater confidence in writing and publishing your book with connections to a support network walking you through the steps.
Now we will take an inside tour of the best self-publishing courses, including the benefits of each course, and the best online publishing program for you.
Here is a list of the best self publishing courses we will cover:
- Self Publishing School with Chandler Bolt
- Authority Pub with Steve Scott and Barrie Davenport
- Self Publishing 101 with Mark Dawson
- Your First 10,000 Readers with Nick Stephenson
- Tribe Writers with Jeff Goins
Although all the best online self-publishing courses here come highly recommended, the course content and purpose of each course varies depending on:
- What you need as an author. Are you writing your first book? Scaling up your author platform to 6 figures a year?
- Your budget. How much cash are you willing to invest in your self publishing business?
- Your expectations. What are you expecting by taking an online publishing program? A strong return on ROI? Can the course deliver on its promise?
But, before we dive into the best self-publishing courses on the market today, let me ask you this:
- Are you writing a book? If yes, have you finished your book?
- Are you ready to launch and earn passive income from book sales?
- Do you have a plan for marketing and selling your book to international sites?
- Are you building an email list of raving fans through your book empire?
Depending how you responded to the above, this should give you an idea what course to enroll in.
Every day, thousands of books are self-published through various publishing companies: Amazon KDP, Barnes and Noble Press, or Apple iBooks to name a few. Thousands of authors—just like you—have a dream to see their books in print, on a bookshelf, or for sale online in the Amazon store, the largest ebook retailer in the world.
To get your book to the publishing stage takes a lot of work. If you are not familiar with everything needed to self publish a book, you could end up spending more money than planned or, unknowingly fall into the hands of a deceiving vanity press publisher that waits for new authors desperate to publish.
Don’t let haste or desperation lead you to a bad decision. Check out the best courses here and any questions, contact support through the course so you can be confident you’re making the right decision.
Why Self Publish Instead of Traditional Publishing?
Here are reasons to consider self-publishing your book instead of traditional publishing.
- Writing a book makes you an authority in your area of expertise.
- Self-publishing a book, or series of books, creates an additional income stream that could lead to a full-time career as an author within 6-12 months. Publishing your book through one of the big 5 trade publishers could take years.
- Self Publishing lets you build your own business at your pace with the freedom to make key business decisions.
- Potentially you can earn more because it is easier to scale up when you have control over marketing and book launch pacing.
- Tax breaks by forming your own business and working from home.
- Publish more, publish faster. This means the potential to earn more in a shorter amount of time and scale up your email list at a faster rate: The key point here is, it’s faster all around.
- 0 rejection letters. That’s right, you can never be rejected as a self-published author.
Some of the big titles available today started out as self published books before being picked up by a major publishing house. Recognize any of these titles?
- Fifty Shades of Grey—E.L.James
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit—Beatrix Potter
- The Martian—Andy Weir
- The Shack by William P. Young
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini
- Swann’s Song by Marcel Proust
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- Switched by Amanda Hocking
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
- Hacker series by Meredith Wilder
So yes, self publishing can be a great path to launch your writing career. You can work from home, set up a writer’s temporary workstation at your local Starbucks, or hunker down in a library hammering away at perennial bestseller after bestseller.
How Do I Choose the Best Online Course?
Now, you might be thinking to just do it yourself without help from any of the self publishing courses. I did this too, and I made a lot of mistakes that could have been avoided had I invested in a course with a built in blueprint.
This is why I have put together a solid list of the best self publishing courses on the market today. Only the best made this list because I know what it is like to waste money on courses that went nowhere.
I have personally been inside each of these courses so I can share with you first hand the pros and cons of each.
Why take a self publishing course?
Good question. Take into account the marketing, networking, and getting the book ready for print. The steps are many and it is a big investment of your time and effort.
Do I need a course to write a book? Can’t I do this myself?
Yes, you can. But…
Publishing can be difficult with lots of moving parts. You start to feel like a juggler with too many balls in the air!
The good point of joining a course is, you are not alone. And, without support, a launch team to help launch your book, it is easy to make a lot mistakes could otherwise be avoided.
So, this is why we bring you this list of professional experts, each with years of book writing experience and marketing confidence, sharing with you the best strategies for writing, launching and selling more books. And yes, despite the flood of material out there these days, you can make money from self publishing…if you do it right and learn from the best.
The 7 Criteria for Choosing the Best Self Publishing Course
- The instructors for these self publishing courses are multi-bestselling authors with the sales and platform to show it. They are trusted by the industry with solid reputations for being honest and driving their business with integrity.
- The course content is current and up to date. In an industry that is constantly changing, publishing courses can become outdated within a year. The courses here are updated regularly with additions and updates every few months.
- Based on industry reviews and student satisfaction, the self publishing courses are praised and recommended from authors who have been through the programs.
- The strategies and business practices of the owners do not break any rules pertaining to Amazon’s rules and are morally sound.
- I have personally taken these courses and recommend each one.
- The material, content and overall course is professionally packaged and high quality.
- Support: When you run into trouble, you want to know that you can talk to someone and get everything sorted quickly and efficiently. No fuss.
Take note: Several courses are open for a limited time only at certain times of the year. The enrollment period is usually every three months, but this varies.
Self-Publishing School with Chandler Bolt
Self-published entrepreneur Chandler Bolt quit college back in 2014 and set out to write a book called The Productive Person. The book was hugely successful and Chandler soon set up an online course to help authors self publish their books…in just 90 days!
Yes, the professionals at Self Publishing School are making big claims: You can go from blank page to published book in as little as 90 days. To date, close to 5000 authors have been through the course since it started in late 2014.
The online publishing course has been featured by INC 5000 as one of the 5000 fastest-growing private companies in America.
With this comprehensive go-at-your-own-pace blueprint, the school has created an easy-to-follow system to take you from first-time author to course creator with three pillar courses available.
Breakdown of Course Content
When Self-Publishing School first started out they had a basic course for writing and publishing a book. There are now four premium courses to choose from on the platform, including a full fiction course piloted by successful self-published fiction author RE Vance.
VIP—Blank Page to Published Author: From blank page to published author, write your book in 90 days with this course. There are 3 modules to walk you through the program with over 4 hours of video, bonus content and an outsourcer rolodex to assist with hiring professionals for all phases of the book production.
- VIP Writing
- VIP Book Production
- VIP Marketing and Publishing
- SMB Launch Strategies
- SMB Email Marketing Strategies
- SMB Foundation Strategies
- SMB Author Brand Strategies
- SMB Advanced Marketing Strategies
CBA [Course Building for Authors]: Building a course from your book? This premium course is made specially for those authors ready to take their platform to the next level.
- CBA Plan & Develop Your Course
- CBA Create and Upload Your Course
- CBA Market and Sell Your Course
Each course comes with its own customized, professional workbook. The best part of these courses is that you will be assigned a personal coach after being accepted into the program.
Cost to Enroll: Speak to an SPS representative to discuss best course options and pricing.
Availability: If you meet the course requirements you can start right away
Target Author: Writing your first book, advanced or pro authors. SPS has courses to cover any level.
Enrollment Availability: If you qualify for access to the course, you will speak to a self publishing representative who will set you up with the best course to meet your publishing goals.
6 Reasons to Enroll with Self-Publishing School
- The one-on-one personal coaching that comes with each course [VIP 2.0, SMB and CBA]. You will get the best results by working with a professional student success coach.
- One hour clarity call with your coach to drill down into your book idea.
- Weekly live online mastermind group with Chandler Bolt
- Customized workbook comes with each course
- Mastermind facebook Community of 1000+ active participants.
- 4 premium courses to meet your publishing goals
Self-Publishing School has a long track record of successful students that have written, launched and turned their dreams of being published into a reality. The course is fast-paced and doesn’t waste time on details.
Check out this review of Self-Publishing School we did.
Authority Pub Academy With Steve Scott and Barrie Davenport
Steve Scott [also known as S.J. Scott] is one of the biggest names when it comes to self publishing. He has been marketing online for a long time and when the eBook craze started back in 2011, Steve was one of the first authors that as in there doing it.
Steve Scott has published over 70 books and has been branded as the “Heavyweight of Self Publishing.” He runs the blog Develop Good Habits. Together with his writing partner Barrie Davenport [Live Bold and Bloom], Steve and Barrie created Authority Pub Academy.
With the combined talents of two bestselling authors, Authority Pub is everything you would expect it to be: A self publishing course that is focused on teaching authors to write and publish, not just a book, but focuses on building out an author platform.
In today’s overwhelming jungle of books, with thousands being published daily, Steve Scott recognized the importance of turning your book platform into a brand and a book business.
This is the strength and focus of this course, and there are loads of videos, downloads and information taught from two authors that have been engaged in the self-publishing business from the beginning.
Breakdown of Course Content
Authority Pub Academy is made up of 6 modules:
- Module 1: Setting the Author Mindset and Building a Writing Habit
- Module 2: Niche Focus and Researching a Perennial Bestseller
- Module 3: Outlining, Writing a First Draft and Editing
- Module 4: Pre-Publishing and Setting Up Your Book in KDP
- Module 5: Lead Magnets, Reviews and Launch Strategies
- Module 6: Advanced marketing and Scaling Up Your Author Library
Authority Pub is a plethora of knowledge and both Steve and Barrie have learned everything through years of trial and error. Authority pub is a “one-stop resource to help writers streamline the whole process.”
Cost to Enroll: $597 or 2 payments of $348
Target Author: If you are just writing your first book, or already published and looking to scale up your author platform with more content and strategies that increase long term growth, Authority Pub is for you.
6 Reasons to Enroll with Authority Pub Academy
- Advanced supplementary materials includes WordPress blog setup mastery, Canva tutorial, email walkthrough using Aweber and Evernote tips for productive writing
- Course content professionally delivered via high definition videos supported by quality downloads
- Solid case studies and examples of writers who have made it work
- Effective advanced marketing strategies to scale up your books
- The course removes any guess work and provides students with a clear roadmap
- 30 day “try it, test it, apply it” money back guarantee
Self Publishing 101 with Mark Dawson
I became interested in Mark Dawson’s platform as a big fan of his John Milton action series books and Isabella Rose thrillers. If you’re looking for a great read this weekend, I’d highly recommend these books.
As a traditionally published author who used to write for a big firm, Mark Dawson started self publishing his action and thrillers and, to date, has sold over a million copies. Mark has published 25+ books, has three series in the works, and is constantly launching bestseller after bestseller. His monthly earnings in 2015, according to an interview in Forbes.com, Mark Dawson was being paid $450,000 a year for his works.
So, who better to learn the craft of self publishing than an established author with both a library of successful bestsellers and the income to show it. This brings us to Self Publishing 101, Mark Dawson’s course for authors.
If you are new at self publishing or have been publishing for awhile, this course has something for everyone. You will learn the basics as well as advanced marketing strategies to scale up your author platform.
With Self Publishing 101, you’ll will write, launch and market a quality book that sells. Although Mark Dawson is mainly a fiction author, the course can be customized for nonfiction writer’s. The same marketing strategies apply to both.
Breakdown of Course Content
Inside Self Publishing 101, the course is broken up into 8 modules that includes:
- Build Your Platform
- Amazon Exclusive or Go Wide
- Go Wide
- Generating Traffic
- Advanced Teams & Launching
- Getting Reviews
As additional bonuses, there is also a tech module that walks through how to build a website, lead magnets, email service providers, and formatting your book.
The best part of this course is the system Mark teaches for email list building through an author website. Building an email list is critical to the success of any author, and Mark and his team have these bases covered.
- Cost to Enroll: $497 or 12 monthly payments of $49.00. Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Availability: Closed after enrollment begins. Cycle is every 3-4 months.
- Target Author: Beginner, intermediate and advanced authors looking to build a rock-solid fan base through email list building and advertising.
6 Reasons to Enroll with Self Publishing 101
- Deep dive into the Amazon algorithm
- Focuses on subscriber communication and building an email list
- Bonus tech library with an introduction to using advanced apps and tools
- Active Facebook group with high response time
- Additional “Writing Copy for Facebook Ads” module
- Reasonably priced course for the value it delivers
Your First 10k Readers with Nick Stephenson
If you are looking for a comprehensive, in-depth, no-holds-barred course on marketing tactics, Nick Stephenson’s Your First 10,000 Readers is that course.
The course assumes you already have a book, or a library of books, and now you want to take what you’ve got and line it all up in order to grow your list to a 10k readership…and beyond.
Your First 10k Readers is really better suited for the more seasoned author. It gets into the nitty-gritty of the Amazon algorithm, merchandising, keywords and niche marketing, email marketing, landing pages, giveaways, and what Nick calls “You’re secret sauce.”
So yeah, there’s a lot going on here.
Let’s take a look inside.
Breakdown of the Course Content
The course consists of 6 modules that you can work on at your own pace.
The self-publishing course modules are:
- Module 1: Rule the Retainers. This includes Amazon Algorithms, Merchandising, Broad Reach VS KDP Select, and Pricing.
- Module 2: Generate Endless Traffic. This includes Keywords & Niches, Using Free Books, Smart Promotions, and The Author Dream Team
- Module 3: Convert Traffic Into Fans. This includes Traffic Funnels, Optimize Your Website, Giveaways, and Events Marketing
- Module 4: Build Engagement and Sell—Without Being “Salesy”. This module includes Why Readers Don’t Buy, Priming the sale, Scarcity, the Secret Sauce, Social Media Mastery, Getting Reviews, and Auto-Responders
- Module 5: Launch Strategies. This module includes Launch Teams, Building Buzz, and Launch Day
- Module 6: Facebook Advertising. This module includes Intro to Power Editor, How to Track Results With Pixels, and Ninja Tricks.
In addition to the 6 core modules, there is also a wide range of bonus content that includes rock star author interviews, email swipe files, and tools of the trade bonus section.
- Cost to Enroll: $597 or 12 monthly payments of $59.00. Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Availability: Enrollment anytime.
- Target Author: Intermediate and advanced authors needing advanced tactics to scale up author platform and build your publishing business into an empire
6 Reasons to Enroll with Your First 10k Readers
- Membership includes author interviews with big industry authors Mark Dawson, Joanna Penn, Simon Whistler, Bryan Cohen, and Nick Loper
- A powerhouse of book marketing tactics for both fiction and nonfiction authors
- Video content is high quality, fast-paced and engaging
- Comes with a highly-engaged private Facebook group
- Includes a BONUS course “The 60-Day Author” for writers who haven’t published yet
- Includes a members cheat sheet that breaks the course down into a comprehensive blueprint
Tribe Writers with Jeff Goins
Jeff Goins is the best-selling author of five books including The Art of Work and Real Artists Don’t Starve. He is the owner of Goinswriter.com where he shares his thoughts on writing, life and creativity.
With a successful blog and five bestselling books, it isn’t any surprise that Jeff has a writing course to market to his raving fans of authors: Tribe Writers.
Jeff’s course is packed with material. With the formula presented in Tribe Writers, you as the author can create your own path to creativity. There are twelve steps of a tribe writer that allows you to tailor fit the best plan while keeping your unique voice.
Tribe Writers is broken up into four individual modules:
- Module 1: Honing Your Voice
- Module 2: Establishing a Platform
- Module 3: Expanding Your Reach
- Module 4: Getting Published
In addition to the four modules, you also get:
- Exclusive interviews with over a dozen authors, bloggers, and publishing experts
- Access to the Tribe Writers community of 6000+ members
- Live conference calls to ask questions and get help
- Downloadable PDF workbook that summarizes every lesson
- Admission to a private Facebook group only for students
The modules take about 2 weeks to get through but you can move at your pace.
This course comes with five additional bonuses to support you including You Are a Writer eBook + Audiobook and The Perfect Book Launch.
Where Jeff’s Tribe Writers is different from the other courses is, a strong emphasis on honing your ideas and creativity as a writer to create a unique brand. There is a strong foundation for support and networking with hundreds of other authors.
Best 6 Reasons to Enroll with This Self-Publishing Course
- Loaded with tools to help get you started
- Community of writers to help you when you get stuck
- Lots of valuable content and expert interviews included
- Designed to show you how to find your voice and audience
- Monthly conference calls to keep you on track
- “12 steps of a Tribe Writer” that clearly outlines the expectations of the course.
Ready to Write and Publish Your Bestseller?
All of these courses are excellent in their own way. Depending on your budget and writing goals, you might choose one over the other.
Now that we have taken an in- depth look at the best self publishing courses for you to write your bestseller, you have a solid idea of what to expect from each course. The question is: Are you ready to write your book?
The best writing course you decide depends largely on your goals as a writer.
Want to jumpstart your book writing process?
Join Chandler Bolt from self-publishingschool.com at his FREE Webinar Training as he reveals the exact tactics and strategies he used to write and publish 6 bestselling books in a row.
Are you writing one book only and need a step by step process to guide you through to published author?
Do you want to build a solid library of books and focus on your author platform? Authority Pub Academy could be your best match. Let Steve Scott and Barrie Davenport guide you towards your success of being a multiple bestselling author.
Do you want to learn the essence of email list building, creating an author website and setting up landing pages that convert readers into subscribers? Self Publishing 101 could be the best choice to make.
Need more advanced marketing tools from one of the best in the business? Your First 10k Readers is the path you might consider, and…
Interested in a course that focuses on honing your creative writing talent while showing you how to connect with your unique voice? Tribe Writers with Jeff could be the best option.
Or, you might decide you need two self publishing courses, combined together for maximum impact. Self Publishing School can show you how to go from blank page to published author in 90 days. But Nick Stephenson’s course can teach you the more advanced analytics and how to really build out an online book business.
So now, make a choice. You have been sitting on this long enough. Your book won’t write itself and if you have written it already, take it to the next level.
Life is short.
Take action now.
It’s your time to write that next perennial bestseller!