Writing Prompt Generator for Book Ideas
Writing Prompt Generator
for Book Ideas
I want to write...
Writing Prompt Generator
for Book Ideas
Your Book Prompt:
What is a Writing Prompt Generator?
A writing prompt generator is a tool that produces a random writing prompt depending on the genre you choose. Writing prompts are writing topics or story starters that help with the ideation process of writing, by giving you a specific topic to write on.
Writing prompts are often used in a learning setting, when writers need direction. However, writing prompts are also especially used for authors that struggle with ideation for their next book idea, or experience writing block that prevents them from being able to start writing.
A writing prompt gives direction, and is like a seed that writer’s can use to sprout their imagination and creativity. You can choose whether or not to deviate from the original writing prompt or not; it’s up to you!
Related: Creative Writing Prompts
How does this random Writing Prompt Generator work?
Our Writing Prompt Generator is designed especially for novelists and authors in search of their next book idea. The prompt generator is loaded with a variety of random prompts and story starters, all based on genre type, and we are continuously updating the tool with more prompts.
Related: How to Write a Book
To get started, you will have to select your writing type and genre, then the generator will randomly produce a writing prompt that meets the criteria of your choice.
Here are the steps to use this Writing Prompt Generator:
- Select “Fiction” or “Nonfiction” as your writing type. Fiction is the best choice if you’re looking for creative writing prompts to write a novel or story that’s imaginative. Nonfiction is the best choice if you want to write a nonfiction book based on real life.
- Select a “Genre.” There are specific genres for both nonfiction and fiction. Once you select your writing type, you’ll be presented with a number of genres to choose from. Select the genre that intrigues you most!
- Click the orange “Generate” button. Once you have your writing type and genre selected, click the button to discover your
- Enter your information (optional). If you want to join our community and receive occasional emails, enter your information. Or, click “No thanks” to be taken to your prompt.
- Click “Generate.” Let the writing prompt generator work its magic!
Your randomized writing prompt will then appear. If you aren’t happy with the writing prompt the generator produced, just click “Generate” again and another prompt will show. Keep doing this until you find one you love. 🙂
Who should use this prompt generator?
Anyone who has an interest in writing can use this writing prompt generator for free.
But since we’re in the business of helping writers become published authors, we designed this writing prompt specifically for these types of people:
- Aspiring Authors: For writers who want to become authors, these writing prompts will help you brainstorm your bestselling book idea. Whether you plan to write books or novels based on imaginary stories or real-life topics, you’ll find a prompt to exercise your writing skills with this generator.
- Published Authors: For those who have already launched their publishing journey and are ready to become multi-bestselling authors, these writing prompts can help you generate your next book idea.
- Nonfiction writers: If you know you want to become a nonfiction author but need some ideas, try choosing a random genre from our nonfiction writing prompts.
- Creative writers: If you want to beat writers block, express some creativity, or master your craft, use one of these random prompts to flex your creative muscles.
- Fiction writers: For those who love writing fiction, you can experiment with a number of fiction genres using these random prompts.
Writing Prompt Generator: Genre Breakdown
|Nonfiction||Business||Business development, marketing, professional growth, entrepreneurship and more.|
|Nonfiction||Self-Help||Personal growth, spirituality, self-development, and more.|
|Nonfiction||Memoir||Life stories based on a real-life event or experience.|
|Nonfiction||Health & Fitness||Emotional, mental, and physical health and wellness|
|Nonfiction||Parenting & Relationships||Information about family development, raising children, and love.|
|Fiction||Thriller||Scary stories that often include elements of horror, psychological thrillers, and the gothic.|
|Fiction||Romance||Love stories mainly showcasing a relationship|
|Fiction||Mystery||Usually stories about mysterious deaths or crimes to be solved|
|Fiction||Sci-Fi||Speculative fiction often with futuristic elements that combine science and tech.|
|Fiction||Fantasy||Speculative fiction often set in imaginary worlds, influenced by myth and folklore.|
|Fiction||Historical Fiction||Fictional stories based on historical events or the past.|
|Fiction||Sentence Starters||One-liner prompts that writers create a story from.|
Reasons to use a Prompt Generator
Why use a generator to come up with a story idea, you ask? There are plenty of reasons!
Sometimes, using a random prompt generator is especially helpful for those looking to improve their writing craft, implement a new literary technique and explore a different genre.
Usually, students learning to write stories in an educational setting will be given written prompts or topics to follow, simply because a random writing prompt helps guide the writer with an initial topic to get started.
Here are some reasons to use a Writing Prompt Generator:
- Story guidance. Sometimes, coming up with how to start a story is more than half the battle. With a writing prompt generator, you never have to worry about a lack of ideas.
- Explore new genres. If you’re hesitant about dabbling in new genres, a writing prompt generator is a low-risk avenue to help you explore a new genre or topic that you wouldn’t have otherwise thought of. You can try your hand at a new genre with a story prompt, and see where it takes you!
- Creative brainstorming. A story starter can plant the seed of inspiration. When you read a prompt, it might inspire you to think of another idea to pursue. Or, if you start writing to a certain prompt, you have to creatively think of which direction you are going to take the story in. That’s great for exercising your creative muscle!
- Writing practice. Using a guided prompt is great for developing your writing skills. With a random prompt, you can feel free to practice new writing techniques without fear of failure.
- Writer’s block. For writers that struggle with creative blocks, a writing prompt generator is like an oil that can be used to get your wheels turning again. It takes the brain work out of the difficult process of just getting started. You don’t have to think of how to start a story on your own; use a writing prompt and choose where to go from there.
Prompt Generator For Book Ideas
We specifically designed this random writing prompt generator to help writers produce their next book idea.
But that doesn’t mean you should use this prompt generator and write an entire book on the first prompt you get.
Instead, experiment with the generator and use specific prompts that interest you to see where the story takes your writing. Then, when you feel fully invested in a topic, RUN with it!
Here’s how to know if your book idea is good:
- It intrigues you. You’re going to spend a lot of time with this idea, so make sure it’s something you’re passionate about and extremely interested in.
- There is an audience. In order to succeed with publishing your book, you need to make sure there’s an audience ready to buy the type of book you want to write. Browse around Amazon to see if there are related topics that are bestsellers.
- You can spend a lot of time on it. Even if you enjoy a topic, or are interested in a topic, that doesn’t mean you have enough interest in it to spend a long time on. You want to make sure your interest is long-term, and is motivating enough for you to write an entire book on.
- The topic is relatable. If people can relate to it, even if it’s a story that takes place in a galaxy far away, there needs to be some element or experience for your reader to relate to.
- Your book idea is unique. Nobody wants to read the same story over and over again! If you’re covering a topic that’s already been written on, find a new, unique angle to approach.
- People express interest. If someone says they like your idea, they probably do and would be willing to read it!
- You’re passionate about your story. If you find yourself thinking about your book often throughout the day, and can’t stop hiding your excitement for it, your passion will show through your writing.
Now that you know how to use a writing prompt generator, and why it can be extremely helpful for writers of all backgrounds, styles, and levels of expertise, it’s time to get started!